A month seems to have swung by since I last updated you all on what I was reading. I have been reading … however I hit a hard slump at the end of February and it’s been slow going.
I’ve been watching a ton of YouTube and Netflix instead of picking up one of the many books on my shelves – which is fine, but doesn’t do anything to lower my to-be-read stack.
I go through periods where reading is too much work for my lazy brain, and just want entertainment delivered straight into my fiction-centre already cast, filmed and in bingeable quantities.
Here’s what I managed to get through :
- “The Road” by Cormac McCarthy : A dark, end of days read with sympathetic characters. You might want to pack tissues in your bug-out bag. 3/5 Fishbirds.
- “Something From The Nightside” by Simon R. Green : So much info-dumping in this short book! I liked enough to read to the end, but won’t continue with the series. If you’re looking for an urban fantasy, just jump straight to Jim Butcher. 3/5 Fishbirds.
- “Wundersmith : The Calling Of Morrigan Crow” by Jessica Townsend : Yay for this local Sunshine Coast writer! I found this second book in the Nevermoor series, to be even more enjoyable than the first. 4/5 Fishbirds.
- “My Sister The Serial Killer” by Oyinkan Braithwaite : Longlisted for the 2019 Womens Prize for Fiction, this one was more love triangle than serial killery – and didn’t hold my interest. 1/5 Fishbirds.
- “The Lost Man” by Jane Harper : A rural Australian mystery, with the landscape as much of a character as the people within it. I’ve enjoyed all of Harper’s books to date, and will definitely pick up her next one. 4/5 Fishbirds.
- “Howl’s Moving Castle” by Diana Wynne Jones : Didn’t feel this book gave me anything I couldn’t get watching Miyazaki’s film adaptation. An enjoyable read though. 3/5 Fishbirds.
What did I watch when I should have been reading? …
- “Queer Eye” Season 3 – Netflix : I literally cry in every episode. Love these guys!
- “American Gods” Season 2 – Amazon Prime : Stop trying to limit my TV watching, and drop all episodes at once, Amazon!
- After Life” Season 1 – Netflix : Ricky Gervais is amazing, and I would totally invite him to my dinner party.
- All of the YouTube : Start out watching booktube vloggers, next minute I’m learning how to make a vegan lasagne and revisiting old Golden Globes moments.
I hope you’ve all read some great books this month. What are you currently reading, and why haven’t you sent me a copy?
As Julie Andrews once sang to some sentient hills, “Goats to go read my books, players!”